"The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants." -- Gichin Funakoshi

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Suprising Myself

I had actually paid attention during my year of observing classes before actually taking the plunge myself. And that translated into some things flowing fairly naturally for me. I still had major issues with my self-esteem when it came to athletics. So I made a deal with Sensei-hubby. We would work together before class and at home, so I wouldn't end up having to do anything for the first time in front of anyone but him. Front snap kicks, roundhouse kicks, side kicks, punches, blocks, C-steps, progressives, simple combinations, the early kata. I learned them all in our private lessons before I learned them in class. Gradually our private workouts became fewer and farther apart. And before I realized it, I was doing things for the first time in class. And it didn't bother me. Somewhere along the way, my brain talked my emotional psyche into believing what I knew all along: nobody out there in the class is really paying any attention to how you look doing what you're doing - they are all too busy trying to keep themselves from looking ridiculous in front of the others. Once I embraced that reality, things got easier.

And then I became a green belt.

1 comment:

Mir said...

Everyone learns by making mistakes first. No one is perfect at anything the first time that they do it. You need only look back at how you learned to color in a coloring book.. ALL of us colored outside of the lines first. Once I realized that important fact I became less afraid to "look silly" by making a mistake. I just told myself that this is a part of learning.

But you are right, most people are too busy struggling with their own issues to worry about yours in a karate dojo. The only people aware of your mistakes would be the Sensei/ Sempai in charge of the class, and their goal is to help you learn from the mistakes. Therefore.. no worries.