"The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants." -- Gichin Funakoshi

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

movin' on up

I am now officially a sankyu! Got my brown belt just in time for the fall fashions - hah!

In BBM Challenge-related news, I haven't done pushups outside of the dojo yet. Yeah, I know. That's bad. And I didn't get to spar last night in class, even though I was actually half-way looking forward to it.

Last night was Sensei Rita's last night with us at the dojo. She's off to college and I am sad. She was one of the few that I enjoyed sparring with, because she showed control without just standing there and letting me score. She helped me learn. I'm gonna miss her.

Anyway, we had a suprise bon voyage party for her after class last night, so Hanshi pulled me and the other green belt who was due to test to the other training room. After he saw our kata, he asked us to set up for the party, so that's what I did the rest of class.

So, now I'm a brown belt. It's time to step up to the plate. I'm not sure I'm ready for this.

4 comments:

Becky G said...

Congratulations on your promotion!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! That's so exciting! I test next week for mine.

Now do some push-ups!

frotoe said...

Hey Congratulations!!

now drop down and give BBM 50!

Mir said...

Congratulations on your advancement! Brown belt is such an important stage.. work on your mental position.

For example.. your push ups. Try linking them with something that you do everyday. For example, Just before you eat breakfast, do 10 push ups... Or just before you walk into your bedroom before bedtime, do 10 push ups. If you find it too hard to do the full-out push up.. then why don't you try doing the push ups with your knees down on the ground? Let your body build up it's strength. Start off easy, and build up to the heights. Would you hand a 20 page essay problem to someone who is in grade 1? Make your goals fit your body's ability, and instead of feeling bad about not meeting your goals, you will feel the joy of meeting, and exceeding them.