"The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants." -- Gichin Funakoshi

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Instructors' Training

We had a professional photographer come to our dojo today - you know, the kind that makes athletic trading cards and posters and fake magazine covers with your pic on them? Yeah. Hubby and I posed together, and Hanshi told me to grab a black belt from the cabinet for the pics. He said it would be silly, as close as I am to my black belt, to have these pics done with a brown belt on. And since he's the head cheese, I didn't have a problem with posing as a black belt for pics. He even wanted me in the group shot he had made of all the instructors. Guess that means I'm definitely being groomed to teach.

After our group shot, since we were all there, Hanshi wanted to train for a while. We ran kata up through Kanku Dai and did a little fine tuning on each kata. It's so easy to get into bad habits and slip in moves that weren't there before, and then other people see you do it and think that's how it's supposed to be done. So today was a good chance for us to ask Hanshi about some of those things and make sure all the instructors were teaching things the same way. It was an awesome class!

No comments: