"The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants." -- Gichin Funakoshi

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

board breaks, bed of nails, and Bassai Dai

I should have taken my camera to karate last night. Or at least my phone. Hanshi got the boards out. I know that board breaking is a recent American addition to the martial arts, and not an ancient training technique or anything, but I can see some benefits to trying it on occassion. It's an excellent way to demonstrate the importance of proper technique and focus.

Hanshi also broke out his bed of nails last night. Yes, our Hanshi has his very own bed of nails. And he does lay directly on it. And he has people break concrete blocks on his chest while he's there. Sometimes I wonder just how deranged the man is ;)

Second class was small, and Hanshi decided not to run us the full hour. It was a kata class, and Hanshi told me my techniques on Bassai Dai were "textbook." Considering I only started really learning this kata in January, I was on cloud nine about that. I need to start focusing on the rhythm and tempo of the kata now.

Hanshi wants to start up a system at the dojo where he will certify certain people to teach certain things. Like katas. Certify 2 or 3 people to teach a specific kata, and those 2 or 3 will be the resident "experts" on that kata. It's a really neat idea. Last night he told me when he starts certifying people he wants to certify me on Bassai Dai. Wow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a nice compliment!