"The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants." -- Gichin Funakoshi

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

progress

With the new training schedule at the dojo, Monday nights for adults are pretty much an opportunity to practice on an open mat. If there is a surplus of instructors, you might be able to get a little private instruction. Last night I worked on Kanku Dai, and then I had a chance to practice my sparring. Our ranking brown belt was there and we geared up for some freestyle sparring. Thanks for the help, Gary! I needed the practice...I can't remember the last time I sparred as a part of class. I think I was pulled out of class to test the last time...or maybe to help with a lower belt's kata. I vaguely remember gearing up and not getting to spar at all that night.

Anyway, I know Gary was holding back, but my sparring skills are definitely improving. I was actually committing to moves and showing confidence. I feel like I do the same 3 or 4 moves over and over again (side kick, middle punch, backfist combo), but I guess if it occassionally lands I shouldn't worry too much about it, huh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're welcome! It helps me too. Sorry you couldn't be there M/T this week. I won't be there tonight, so I'll probably forget every part of Kanku I've learned so far.

Silverstar said...

Sounds like you had a good class. I wish I felt as confident in sparring.:)