"The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants." -- Gichin Funakoshi

Friday, January 02, 2009

On My Own

Well, things have changed since my last post. I am back in Tennessee, so that's a good thing. But I'm not really close enough to my old dojo to return for training. And I no longer have my own personal Sensei to train with whenever the mood strikes. So that's a not so good thing.

Another not so good thing is my current weight and fitness level. I've regained about 15 pounds since returning from Arizona. And I don't think I could do 10 pushups right now to save my life. And another not so good thing is the amount of time I've spent working out on my own in the last year - which would be none.

So here's where I am. Alone. There are dojos in the area, but I don't exactly have the disposable income necessary to make any of those a viable option at this point.

But I'm not throwing in the towel. On the contrary. I'm kicking my butt into gear and getting myself back in shape. I've been online refreshing my memory on all the kata I knew over a year ago, printing out diagrams to study at leisure. I'm hunting down old pilates dvds and dusting off my running shoes. It's a new year and it's time for me to get and stay healthy.

I'm not making any resolutions. I'm doomed to fail if I say these are resolutions. But I am determined to change my habits. And I'm going to be posting here again in an effort to keep myself motivated.

6 comments:

Michele said...

I did not make any resolutions either but I am trying to eat healthier. Good luck with your exercise plan!

Gary said...

See if you can find someone to hold you accountable on it, or even better, someone to work out with you.

Also, some churches offer exercise programs for very low rates (sometimes free) and then you would have someone else to encourage you.

Good luck with it A!

Steve said...

Welcome back! If you can stick with it for a few months, you'll be addicted again and well on your way to acheiving your goals!

Good luck!
Steve

Anonymous said...

I always trick myself into working out by starting off stretching, and then moving through kata at a walk through pace. Kata, just by the nature of doing it, gets you into a physical mode and before you know it you'll be performing at a decent clip.

Just let yourself naturally slide into working out!

Mathieu said...

write

words stir the brain who stirs the body in turn

Blackbeltmama said...

I'm with Mat! How's it going?